I was lucky enough to work with New Trier Special Olympics for several years in college. My senior year, a bunch of friends and I actually ran the games. I couldn't work with my athletes during the event because I was running around solving lots of different problems and issues, but I think it went off pretty well! Go Special O! (My junior year they even let a few of us join them at the Illinois State Special Olympics in Normal, Illinois.) They were definitely part of my Illinois family. I get to hear from them every once in a while, via facebook, and it always makes me smile. Being super old school, it took me a while to get into Words with Friends and now one of my athletes is playing with me. John may or may not be leading the game right now. These people were incredible and always made me laugh and I always had a great time volunteering. It makes me so happy to hear they are doing well and continuing to earn gold medals!
Jessie and Mark sang the NU fight song to kick off opening ceremonies!
Leading stretches with the athletes.
Brian wins a gold medal in the wheelchair race! (Sidenote: his dad is a survivor of the Holocaust and speaks at special events all over the world. His story has been put in museums as well.) His family is incredible.
Happy couple (with medal, too!)
Our friends all came out to help us on our big day!
An extra thank you to all of the volunteers and Exec board for such an amazing Day of the Games 2010!







No comments:
Post a Comment