After the State Fair, we had one more day in Dallas with the Marotta family. We spent Monday visiting Dallas proper. We took the trolley to a part of the city for lunch (another delicious meal in Texas!). We went to the JFK Museum and saw the exact spot where he was assassinated. The museum was also really interesting. I had no idea there were so many conspiracy theories about how JFK was shot. Wouldn't be a fall break without some history lesson! Kristie has been telling us about this restaurant called "Cardiac Grill" for months now. It's pretty much the fastest way to die. If you weigh more 350 pounds, you eat for free. The shakes are called "Buttershakes" and you have to wear hospital gowns when you eat there. DUH I WANTED TO GO. We decided to pre-dinner before we went to Mome's for our last meal and IT WAS CLOSED DOWN. The sign said the owners had defaulted on their rent. NOOOOOOOO. Clearly, the biggest disappointment of Texas was not eating a Buttershake. Kristie had a quick fix to this problem. We went to another one of her favorites, had milk shakes and went shopping in a thrift shop. She found her outfit for Tacky 80s prom. SUCCESSFUL DAY. The next morning, we had breakfast at this coffee-bar place. YUM. Then we drove her to the airport and headed to Austin. Byeeeee Kristie. Byeeee Marotta family. Thanks again for letting us stay. We had such a wonderful time exploring Dallas with you!! :)
Austin highlights (I WISH I WROTE THIS THREE WEEKS AGO AND NOT RIGHT NOW). We went to this place called Hula Hut and ate some amazing guac and drank yummy strawberry margaritas at Happy Hour. The restaurant was also on the water, literally. The waves would crash into the side of the restaurant. Spencer's friends from JSA way back when came out with us and we heard about all of their adventures at IDEA schools (charter network in Texas). They were super fun and I had a great time getting to know them. Afterward, we went out in downtown Austin for drinks. We sat outside of a Virago-type bar and drank by the open fire. Yummy. We crashed at Matt's place. The next morning, we took Austin by storm! We took a tour of the UT Law School, explored campus, saw the college's science museum, saw the Capital building, and ATE more food. The breakfast burrito hit the spot in the early morning and then we hit up the Austin food trailer scene. They are called food trucks everywhere else, but in Austin they are permanent and don't move, so they are called trailers. CHECK THIS OUT. BEST DONUTS OF ALL TIME.
Doughnuts
After nap time, we "hiked" up the highest point in Austin. Beautiful views! (Who knew there was a lake in Austin?!)
We went out for Korean BBQ with Matt and called it a night. We were waking up early for the last leg of the trip to San Antonio!
Katie (Kristie's best friend who stayed with us a few months ago) is a night nurse so when we got to San Antonio at 11AM, she was still sleeping. We saw the Alamo (WHOA IT REALLY IS HUGE. I AM SO HAPPY I DROVE 17 HOURS FROM NASHVILLE TO SEE IT! Okay, maybe that was cruel. I get the historical relevance of it, but I'm still surprised that it gets that much hype.) We also strolled along the River Walk and had lunch with the locals at some eatery. Yum fried chicken. Eventually Katie called and we went on a stroll around one of the city parks. We went to Happy Hour at some bar that Matt recommended to us. A few glasses of wine in, we took our tipsy selves to Mi Tierra's, a famous Tex Mex place. THE BEST MARGARITA OF MY ENTIRE LIFE. I COULD TASTE THE FRESH STRAWBERRIES IN IT. Thank you Katie was taking us there. Don't remember dinner, but I think it was good. Then, dun dun dunnnn, we went to a haunted house. I actually developed bruises from this because the three of us were holding onto each other for deal life. I hate clowns and he kept cornering me. All in all, total success. Until.. I got sick all over Katie's bathroom. Seriously, what has happened to me?? Three drinks and a haunted house and my tummy gives out? Thank you Spencer for taking your sweet time in the bathroom, which caused me to make a mess. (Notice how I just blamed Spencer for my weak stomach.) Sorry Katie!! (Then again, now we're even hahaha)
Alamo
The next morning, we got on the road at 7am and drove almost 1,000 miles from San Antonio to Nashville! We were back in our beds by 11pm so we could get up early for our first Titans game. Thank you LP for donating the free tickets to corps members!!
First Titans football game
We left in the third quarter when we were down 37-7. Really, who cares though. I am glad I can mark it off my to-do list finally!!
Even though I am missing 90% of the most awesome parts of our trip, it was amazing. Another adventure in the record books of apartment 310. Annnnnd, I got to come home and mark off the state of Texas! (Sorry Oklahoma, Spencer's a hater.)





No comments:
Post a Comment