Happy belated fourth of July! More importantly, happy birthday to Ms. Lynn, who yet again is traveling the world on quite the adventure. Her pictures look pretty incredible if you want to do some face booking.
Cleveland threw it down for the members of t-eff-a. BBQ and $1 beers and smirnoffs kept us all pretty busy. The night ended with some lovely fireworks and a trip to Hey Joes and Pickled Okra. Hey Joes is a pretty neat bar in town, closes at 10 or 12 most nights. Pickled Okra is the closest thing to Red Rooster we have around here. Cari and Maddy stayed out pretty late dancing the night away. I, on the other hand, am an old lady these days and left around midnight.
Wednesday was probably the laziest day I've had at Institute thus far. Stayed in bed until almost 11 and watched Community on Hulu. It was over 100 degrees and while everyone else baked at the lake, I decided for my own sanity, I would not put myself through any heat exhaustion, even if it is a national holiday.
Which reminds me, National holiday. You know, when everyone and their mom gets off. Except us! Normally, I wouldn't complain, considering I signed up to work my butt off all summer, but on July 4th?! Our content leader brought us "American Pie" - apple pie and ice cream to make us a bit happier. It worked.
Annalise arrived on Thursday night, so Cari and I took her to Guadalajara in Cleveland. It was so nice to catch up. I'm going to miss her so so much. She's going to learn a ton about ed policy at Duke and share her discoveries with the world and change the way the system works. You watch.
Friday night, our school social was at Guad again so yay for more margaritas. Then Annalise, Liz, Cari, Anthony and I headed to Warehouse to meet up with Cari's school team and afterward we headed to Hey Joes. Annalise and Cari did a midnight shake run to Sonic and I drove Anthony's car home. We asked some members of the management team (like who run ALL of institute) where to have brunch before Annalise left. Apparently you need to drive 90 miles for some decent brunch so we ended up in Oxford, MS - Sippi's hometown. We had a place called "Big, Bad, Breakfast" also known as BBB and spent the afternoon shopping at some really cute boutiques. The town has an old-school feel to it, as in there should be horses and buggies taking us around and I should have a fancy lacy umbrella to shield me from the sun. After a few hours we were drained and headed back to Cleveland.
Stayed in to do work last night. Emma texted to say Eliezah randomly showed up in Cleveland (all the way from Nashville on a wim) so they said hi for a bit before we went to bed. Liz came home complaining of itchiness from bug bites. The poor girl has about 20-30 on her feet and hands alone. Emma has already gotten a shot from an allergic reaction to the MS mosquitos.
Woke up too early this morning from a crazy monsoon thunder and lightning storm. It's only rained twice in the 5 weeks we've been here and hell, it really storms down here.
One more week and we head back home. Justin and I will immediately get in Monte and drive to NJ. I feel like this week is going to be the hardest because the countdown is near - and we don't have nearly as much LPs to do. It's mostly administrative stuff at this point, which means I'll have more free time to miss home. 7 days. Here goes nothing!
Cleveland threw it down for the members of t-eff-a. BBQ and $1 beers and smirnoffs kept us all pretty busy. The night ended with some lovely fireworks and a trip to Hey Joes and Pickled Okra. Hey Joes is a pretty neat bar in town, closes at 10 or 12 most nights. Pickled Okra is the closest thing to Red Rooster we have around here. Cari and Maddy stayed out pretty late dancing the night away. I, on the other hand, am an old lady these days and left around midnight.
Wednesday was probably the laziest day I've had at Institute thus far. Stayed in bed until almost 11 and watched Community on Hulu. It was over 100 degrees and while everyone else baked at the lake, I decided for my own sanity, I would not put myself through any heat exhaustion, even if it is a national holiday.
Which reminds me, National holiday. You know, when everyone and their mom gets off. Except us! Normally, I wouldn't complain, considering I signed up to work my butt off all summer, but on July 4th?! Our content leader brought us "American Pie" - apple pie and ice cream to make us a bit happier. It worked.
Annalise arrived on Thursday night, so Cari and I took her to Guadalajara in Cleveland. It was so nice to catch up. I'm going to miss her so so much. She's going to learn a ton about ed policy at Duke and share her discoveries with the world and change the way the system works. You watch.
Friday night, our school social was at Guad again so yay for more margaritas. Then Annalise, Liz, Cari, Anthony and I headed to Warehouse to meet up with Cari's school team and afterward we headed to Hey Joes. Annalise and Cari did a midnight shake run to Sonic and I drove Anthony's car home. We asked some members of the management team (like who run ALL of institute) where to have brunch before Annalise left. Apparently you need to drive 90 miles for some decent brunch so we ended up in Oxford, MS - Sippi's hometown. We had a place called "Big, Bad, Breakfast" also known as BBB and spent the afternoon shopping at some really cute boutiques. The town has an old-school feel to it, as in there should be horses and buggies taking us around and I should have a fancy lacy umbrella to shield me from the sun. After a few hours we were drained and headed back to Cleveland.
Stayed in to do work last night. Emma texted to say Eliezah randomly showed up in Cleveland (all the way from Nashville on a wim) so they said hi for a bit before we went to bed. Liz came home complaining of itchiness from bug bites. The poor girl has about 20-30 on her feet and hands alone. Emma has already gotten a shot from an allergic reaction to the MS mosquitos.
Woke up too early this morning from a crazy monsoon thunder and lightning storm. It's only rained twice in the 5 weeks we've been here and hell, it really storms down here.
One more week and we head back home. Justin and I will immediately get in Monte and drive to NJ. I feel like this week is going to be the hardest because the countdown is near - and we don't have nearly as much LPs to do. It's mostly administrative stuff at this point, which means I'll have more free time to miss home. 7 days. Here goes nothing!
No comments:
Post a Comment