Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Become a teacher

Yesterday, I gave a testimonial to some of the new corps members. I was supposed to talk about what the achievement gap looked like in the classroom, and who better to discuss than Special Shelia.

However, while talking, I got off track and highly motivated. I realize that I am super fortunate to keep my babies for another year, but what will happen to these kids after they leave my classroom? I feel confident that there are some amazing teachers at my school that will continue to teach them and see them grow. But what happens if they end up with a bad teacher? IT TAKES THREE YEARS TO MAKE UP FOR ONE BAD TEACHER. That's a scary statistic.. all I know is that there are 100 new (and unemployed) teachers who just came to Nashville to teach my babies.

That being said, if you have any desire to change a life.. Obama said it himself.. become a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment