Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Clarksdale, Mississippi



On Saturday, Shafi, James and I ventured into a different world called Clarksdale, MS. It's about 39 miles away from Cleveland. Morgan Freeman grew up in this "city" (i.e. read population 12,000 with mostly vacant stores). He owns a bar called Ground Zero, it's a blue's club. The band was so friendly and kept coming into the crowd and shaking hands and clearly knew most of the locals or if we were tourists. We listened to music and ate FRIED GRITS! You also dip the grits into this butter/honey concoction. It was great on the first bite and by the second fried grit, I was ready to check it off my bucket list and be done with it. Nothing like that chicken fried bacon at the Texas State Fair!

Corps members from the southern regions joined us on Sunday night, so we've been working full speed every moment since. I can't remember the last time I saw any of the Nashville crew since we got here. I spend approximately 14-16 hours with my school team a day, starting at 5:45 in the morning. We'll be done around 9PM tonight and then I can start looking over the first round of lesson plans. I'm pretty sure I clocked 70 hours in week 0. I can only imagine what my time sheet with look like this week.

As I sit here in the Institute Resource Center, I realize how this is going to be the hardest job I've ever had. It's difficult coaching adults. I realize I am also used to spending the majority of my days with children and not grown people. It's just different, definitely not bad, just different. I will say, I've probably learned more about how to be a great teacher and how to lead in the last 10 days than I have in two years. This job is going to make me work and learn and be better for my students.

Cari and I are driving back to Nashville on Friday after the Catfish Broil so we can finish moving into our new apartment with Kelly. I cannot wait to see Justin either! I hate to sound like that pathetic girl, but it's hard being away from someone you love. Furthermore, it's only beginning to sink in that some of our best friends have left Nashville and moved other places. Kristie made fun of me but I truly believe that it's not goodbye, just a see you later. Apartment 310 is retired for right now, but we'll be back together pretty soon. It will be an apartment divided when Northwestern plays Michigan in the Big House, but at least we'll all be together. Declan and Tee and Andy and Teddy and Sarah (and anyone else I'm forgetting at this moment - I blame the Institute brain fry) are also going out into the world and will be successful in grad school. They'll be visiting us soon enough!

I'm going to stop getting sentimental and start critiquing lesson plans! Goodnight y'all! (Did I mention my southern accent is getting way stronger living in Mississippi!? Who woulda thought?)

1 comment:

  1. the nashville contingency will remain strong! seeya out Saturday night? let me know if you guys need help moving

    ReplyDelete