Transformation. In one week. They really came into their own last week. I could not be more impressed with the amount of growth the CMs made in one week. Now that behavior management in under control, we're focused on serious learning. The teachers delivered super boring lessons the rest of the week, so we spent 3 hours today giving them pointers on how to make INM and GP more engaging. I just finished my LPs for the night and I already see some really engaging and interesting plans for the remainder of the week!
We celebrated Emma's birthday in Clarksdale, MS at a restaurant called Rust. It was my first real meal since arriving here. I don't count Sonic, McDonalds or the cafeteria. Even though there is little to compare it to, the food was amazing. The burger was amazing and totally hit the spot. We went to a blue's bar afterward for a few hours.
Friday night, we had an all staff social at Airport Grocery in Cleveland. Over 35 of our 48 CMs came out to celebrate with us. It is so nice to get to know these teachers outside of just coaching them and teaching them how to teach and constantly criticizing them. It was also nice to have a few drinks after a crazy first week of school. Afterward, we went dancing at "club" in Cleveland called "On the Rocks." Someone on t-eff-a staff was the person DJing and it was literally in a hole in the wall. Hot as hell and no AC in there. Afterward, I drove Shafi, James, and Desiree (my fellow CMAs) to Dodge's Chicken. It's a fried chicken joint in a gas station. Another weird MS thing (and by weird, I meant different) is that everyone eats food made at gas stations. This is a new phenomenon for me and I'm not sure I can make it a life-long thing, but I think I'll try it next weekend.
Liz was in a car accident on Thursday. The state trooper said she was lucky to be alive. It's hard to describe but basically the driver of her car had to swerve to miss a Ford 150 and ended up getting hit by a tractor trailer. Liz was in the backseat and got throw forward (thankfully Jackson was in the passenger seat) and blockaded her from going through the windshield. She was so lucky; it's insane. She went the majority of the weekend recovering. She ended up with a minor concussion and some bruising. She's back on her feet now thankfully.
Spent the majority of Saturday doing nothing but reading in bed. It hit 101 degrees at 11:30AM so that was the moment I decided I wanted some alone time. I can't remember the last time I was actually alone. As in weeks, maybe months. So I took advantage of my free time and finished the third Dragon Tattoo. I need another book to read when I have free time this summer, so please send suggestions this way!
Hit a weird wall this weekend and felt homesick. I haven't seen the great state of New Jersey or my Pop Leo since December (or eaten pizza or bagels since then either). Justin and I are going to drive to NJ for 2 days right after Institute is over so I can give Stephen Monte. I promised him that if he could get a job, I would give him a car. Didn't realize it would be that quick! Cannot wait to see my friends and family, even if it's for 48 hours!
We celebrated Emma's birthday in Clarksdale, MS at a restaurant called Rust. It was my first real meal since arriving here. I don't count Sonic, McDonalds or the cafeteria. Even though there is little to compare it to, the food was amazing. The burger was amazing and totally hit the spot. We went to a blue's bar afterward for a few hours.
Friday night, we had an all staff social at Airport Grocery in Cleveland. Over 35 of our 48 CMs came out to celebrate with us. It is so nice to get to know these teachers outside of just coaching them and teaching them how to teach and constantly criticizing them. It was also nice to have a few drinks after a crazy first week of school. Afterward, we went dancing at "club" in Cleveland called "On the Rocks." Someone on t-eff-a staff was the person DJing and it was literally in a hole in the wall. Hot as hell and no AC in there. Afterward, I drove Shafi, James, and Desiree (my fellow CMAs) to Dodge's Chicken. It's a fried chicken joint in a gas station. Another weird MS thing (and by weird, I meant different) is that everyone eats food made at gas stations. This is a new phenomenon for me and I'm not sure I can make it a life-long thing, but I think I'll try it next weekend.
Liz was in a car accident on Thursday. The state trooper said she was lucky to be alive. It's hard to describe but basically the driver of her car had to swerve to miss a Ford 150 and ended up getting hit by a tractor trailer. Liz was in the backseat and got throw forward (thankfully Jackson was in the passenger seat) and blockaded her from going through the windshield. She was so lucky; it's insane. She went the majority of the weekend recovering. She ended up with a minor concussion and some bruising. She's back on her feet now thankfully.
Spent the majority of Saturday doing nothing but reading in bed. It hit 101 degrees at 11:30AM so that was the moment I decided I wanted some alone time. I can't remember the last time I was actually alone. As in weeks, maybe months. So I took advantage of my free time and finished the third Dragon Tattoo. I need another book to read when I have free time this summer, so please send suggestions this way!
Hit a weird wall this weekend and felt homesick. I haven't seen the great state of New Jersey or my Pop Leo since December (or eaten pizza or bagels since then either). Justin and I are going to drive to NJ for 2 days right after Institute is over so I can give Stephen Monte. I promised him that if he could get a job, I would give him a car. Didn't realize it would be that quick! Cannot wait to see my friends and family, even if it's for 48 hours!
No comments:
Post a Comment