TODAY WAS A GLORIOUS DAY! After a solid lesson with some slight behavioral interruptions (and I think my students really grasped Venn diagrams!!) and some random visitors from other teaching fellows organizations observing me randomly, all new teachers were called down to the office to have a meeting with the principal "to address some matters." I felt like I was being called down to the principal's office in school - I was slightly nervous.
After some quick pointers, music started to play over the loud speakers and she told us that because it is --- Day, we had the rest of the day off!! Three solid hours of free time to do whatever we wanted!!!!! When we got back to Georgia Tech, there were kiddie swimming pools filled with water and water balloons, snow cones, and a moon bounce! Needless to say, in professional attire and all, I jumped right in. After some laughing, it was time to change to workout clothes and I met the rest of the Nashville corps at the volleyball court. We got some serious sun and a serious workout. After about 90 minutes, I thought I was going to faint from the extreme heat (over 96 degrees today!) and decided it was time to jump back into the pool and hydrate. On my way back, I got word that there were free aura readings available. How could I pass that up? Well let me tell you - apparently, I am a "healer" - there was lots of green in the image that popped up. Also, a black line indicated that I have some type of physical ailment. After telling her about my missing disc, she agreed that I definitely needed to start coming to her wellness clinic for some holistic medicinal treatment.
I am totally down with holistic medicine, as long as it supplements some real medical treatment. But I am not about to start buying this woman's book or spend $30 a session to meet her. So, that was that. After a shower, we headed to the dining hall for some supper. After some preparation for my lesson tomorrow (this week's official observation tomorrow!), Nashville rallied for some bonding and wine-ing down. There was also some Kumbayah sing-a-long in the hallway and it was glorious. We have some seriously talented country singers in this corps and I cannot wait to start seeing them at open mic nights in Nashville.
More related to my students.. Gina did in fact give me pink eye. Thank god for Obama's healthcare plan or I would be screwed at the moment. Still on my parent's healthcare until my benefits begin in September. I better start stocking up on all types of medicine - germs run rampant in schools apparently.
I'll end this with some notes about my student's progress:
Today the class average on the assessment was above 80%!!!! They get Venn Diagrams!
The assessment on regrouping that was a total disaster last week that resulted in tears .. well the range of scores went from 0-100! The lesson that I taught after that - currency/money.. ranged from 66-100%, with everyone but one student reaching at least 93%. We are seeing some serious improvement and I am so proud of them for working so hard.
I write my first 90-minute Reading Lesson Plan tomorrow night - wish me luck! We're going to read a book about cows that type complaint letters.. there has to be something about cause and effect in there.
p.s. I am way behind on responding to emails so if you're sending me stuff, I will get back to you asap. Keep the emails coming, they brighten my day.. so thank you !!!
No comments:
Post a Comment