We're all pretty exhausted come Friday night and our efforts to get out and play in Atlanta have been unsuccessful. Do you really blame us though? We work from 5am until 11pm every day.. by Friday at 9pm.. all I want to do is curl up in a ball and crawl into bed... we did a bit of playing this weekend though.. just in the dorm. Remember freshman year? yes? C'est la vie.
So, Friday night we did Happy Hour with the other teachers and CM advisors at this fun Mexican bar about 10 minutes away from GT. For someone that is not a big beer drinker, I was feeling particularly adventurous at 5pm Friday. Four of us went in on 3 $5 pitchers. In retrospect, not the brightest idea but definitely a fun time. Kristen and I bonded with New Orleans, Memphis and Atlanta people, as well as had a quality H2H with our CM advisor. I also tried white queso for the first time, definitely hit the spot.
By the time we got back to campus, a. someone had to drive us back and b. we don't really remember what we had to eat in the dining hall. That's what I call a quality happy hour. This really brought me back to Friday nights freshman year at Hinman - thank you Phonathon people.
I do remember the Manager of the GT dining hall "kindly" asking us to leave at 8pm because he had a family to see. After the Target wine run (it still makes me laugh every time that you can purchase alcohol at Targets in GA), a group of 15 of us sat outside the dorm on the grass and sang songs while Will played his guitar. The Memphis crew (probably like 40 people) were outside and being extremely loud.. which lead to the cops breaking up the party around 12:45. Andy saw them coming and rounded up the Nashville herd and sent us inside before the cops had the chance to say anything to us in particular.
The Braves shoot off fireworks every Friday night game in the summertime so we got a cool fireworks show too!
Funniest part of the night: The boys really REALLY wanted Checkers - a fast-food establishment we don't see frequently in the North. We got 6 people in Spencer's tiny two-door (with Sophia laying on top of those in the backseat) and road to Checkers. When we arrive, there are two tranny prostitutes looking for work outside the Checkers. Even after seeing everything I saw in San Fran last summer, these were some hardworking women. I don't think they solicited anyone we were with because they probably heard the boys talking about them while we were in the car (someone forgot the sunroof was open..)
Saturday included a Nashville volleyball tournament, as per usual, some Chick-fil-A (because everyone was upset over the World Cup loss), and a few rounds of freshman year drinking games in the dorms. Some of the corps members were introduced to "The Hangover" .. (still one of my favorites.. Pop Leo loves it too!). Tina also made ice cream sandwiches.. overall, a hilarious night.
Anyone remember "Strega Nona" .. the book about the magic pot of pasta that destroyed the small village in Italy? I'm reading it to my class tomorrow - we're learning how cause/effect relationships affect the problem in a story. It's my first time teaching reading this summer (goodbye math until August) and I'm a little nervous.
It's 12:29am right now and being as I am not yet prepared for my lesson, I will be waking up at 4:05am to prep. That being said, if you remember any teachers that truly made a difference in your life - send them a thank you email. They worked their bottom's off (apparently, saying "butt" in second grade is hilarious) and they really did change your life. Special shout out's to Mrs. SPH, Mrs. LMH, Mr. JP, Ms. B, Ms. KH, Ms. RG, Prof BDO, Prof DL, and Prof PP. Thank you for changing my life and showing me how much I love learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment