Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Free Time?

It's so weird.. I have free time and I am not sure what to do.. weird.

Not too much to report today:

1. So, apparently, Michael DID throw a tantrum during the standardized tests, which actually did distract some of my other summer school students and might have been part of the reason why they failed the exam. He threw pencils at other students and screamed and over turned a desk during the standardized test. My question is: WHY DID THE PROCTORS ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN? DOESN'T IT MAKE SENSE THAT SOMEONE WOULD REMOVE HIM FROM THE TESTING CENTER AND ALLOW OTHER STUDENTS TO ACTUALLY CONCENTRATE AND DO THEIR BEST? Needless to say, Michael is continually disrupting my class and other students' learning. I cannot believe that teachers allowed those shenanigans to happen during a standardized test! Which reminds me.. one of the high schools has reported that "gang initiation" is occuring on Thursday. Word on the street is that in order to be allowed to join, you must stab three people. This sounds insane.. I think it might actually be true. In an attempt to save some lives, the teachers have told students not to come to school because the high-stakes exam is on Wednesday. Please say an extra prayer for the teachers who are going into work that day.. they break up gang fights all the time during the school day and many of their students never come back to school because they are arrested the night before for a variety of things (murder, rape, shoplifting, drugs, etc).. so let's say a prayer for the brave teachers who are just trying to do their job.

2. TJ fell asleep during my class. He claimed he was up until 1am. I made him stand. He was not pleased with me.

3. I bonded with my co-teachers tonight.. we are a hilarious group. I am really really going to miss the ones moving to Memphis, Atlanta and New Orleans. Road trip.. I think so.

4. Roadtrip to Evanston is planned tentatively for August 1-7th.. or somewhere in there. More details to follow. If you don't mind housing 3-4 Nashville corps members that have never been to Chicago before, please let me know.

5. Also, if you have ANY school supplies, books, old t-shirts, ANYTHING I am taking donations for my classroom. I am seriously talking anything... I'll make use of it. It will be tax-exempt.

6. I got some really sweet voicemails and emails today from members of the 2nd grade team where I will be teaching next year. I am excited to meet them at our school retreat at the end of July! They seem so welcoming!

7. I am starting to really like Atlanta.. who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment