Saturday, July 24, 2010

Let the games begin!

We finally have internet in our apartment!! We got all of our furniture today too so it's starting to really come together in apartment Big Top Cupcake. I just made one for Anthony's birthday so that's super exciting. I am introducing the corps to the cupcake tonight. It's not my best because I forgot about using pam on the mold, but they'll just have to deal. The party theme tonight is: Loko for dem Lokos (i.e. quatro tacos initiation party. dear god.)

We've been in the Nash for a few days already and we're already super busy writing big goals, long-term plans and unit plans. I am super excited for my retreat on Tuesday and Wednesday with all of the teachers from my placement school. I have received so many nice emails and phone calls from the staff - I am excited to finally meet them. I also cannot wait to finally see the inside of my classroom. So far, I have had no luck getting in touch with anyone with keys in the building. Hopefully, things will change soon!

We've been going out a lot and spending a ton of money on things for the apartment and just getting to know the city of Nashville. Happy hour is huge here and so that has been a fun way to spend nights after work. Planning is exhausting, even though you don't take your eyes off your computer for 9 straight hours, but I am so excited to have an idea of what I am teaching and how long I have exactly. Most people are just planning one prep - as in, they only teach algebra or world history or something, but I get to do at least two preps (reading and math) so it's especially important to map out the units perfectly. Interestingly, because students are SO far behind down here, we don't really teach science or social studies unless we tie it into our reading and math lessons. This would look like covering Native Americans during a shared-reading studying who, what, where, when and why. There is so much to cover. I am still nervous about this ELL thing, especially now that I know what I need to teach. Someone out there, please explain to me, how to teach characters, plot and setting to students that have never been in formal education before or speak my language. I cannot be more excited and nervous at the same time - let the games begin.

I am also getting accustomed to the niceness of the south. Seriously, sometimes it makes my New Jersey blood boil .. I mean, don't get me wrong.. I LOVE the people here. They are so sweet and kind and thoughtful. I just need to get used to it. Today, I went to the liquor store to buy Wood Chuck for the party tonight and spent 45 minutes in the store with the manager explaining to me every type of wine or beer. I can seriously tell you his life story. The problem is, I cannot even be upset because he told me that I was going to be helping out his children by teaching so he gave me two bottles for free as long as I "teach the children what they need and deserve to know." How can I be upset about that? I seriously need to find something legitimate to complain about because being too nice is really not cutting it :)

All in all, solid week in Nashville. We spent the entire day at the pool - today I was reminded why I am paying to live in such a nice area. I definitely got my tan on, with about 18 other corps members. What cool people.

No comments:

Post a Comment