Monday, July 5, 2010

MLK Memorial

Yesterday, a group of the Nashville corps explored the Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial right here in Atlanta. We saw the museum, his birth home, his grave and the eternal flame. It was a pretty powerful experience, but being as it was also the birth of our nation, we were all really touched. I think one of the most challenging parts was seeing the faces of some of the older African-American men and women when they read about or watched video of the speeches and some of the terrible laws that existed in the 50's-60's. To think.. they lived through that. It was really hard to fathom that people that are still on this earth experienced such hate.

The photos of the black men being lynched made me sick. The laws were just as bad. I expected the majority to be in the south, but even Arizona had a no-interracial marriage law. I said in one of my first entries that a lot of people down here really think the south will rise again.. but I don't think I had accepted at that point the sense of pride that southerns have for their heritage. I also don't think I really understood the extent of the racism that existed in this country until living in Atlanta. There are definitely some issues even between corps members. My co-teacher (white) told her roommate (black) that because she talks and acts like a white person, she has no idea what it is like to be black. That did not go over well, by any means. We live in 2010 and I am surrounded by people that are trying to change lives of some of the nation's poorest families.. and yet, discrimination and small mindedness is still an issue. It's exhausting to think about.

Our three hour exploration through MLK's life, work and legacy left us exhausted. Nashville never seems to back down from a challenge though, so we played volleyball despite the 97 degree weather. Insert painful sunburn here.

We walked about 3 miles to Centennial Park for some AWESOME fireworks last night. By the time we got to the park (an hour before they were supposed to go off), they told us there was no room for blankets. So, we were way sketch, and pretended like we parked in this giant parking garage and climbed the stairs to one of the upper levels and watched the fireworks from up there. It was awesome - nothing like Ridgewood. I didn't expect legit fireworks (Even though we're in a major city?!?) and they totally exceeded expectations. They probably gave NYC's a run for their money.

Back to school tomorrow.. 4 days left with my Atlanta students.. and I'm having really mixed emotions. I'm excited to have my own classroom with my own students, but I am really going to miss the people I've met here in Atlanta.

No comments:

Post a Comment