Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lunchtime = Soap opera

Almost done with the fourth week of teaching!! I have been mostly writing my favorite student comments but maybe I'll write a little about what's going on in my life.

Yesterday, there was a bomb threat at my elementary school after all of the students had left so they packed the teachers onto the bus and got us the hell out of there as quickly as possible. Our school has been broken into twice in the last four weeks and they stole some computers, printers and calculators.. but a bomb threat? At an elementary school? Apparently, I'll "get used to it."

I choked on my dinner last night in the dining hall. Like, actually had food stuck in my throat. I couldn't cough and I started to panic. As in, Cari ran over to give me the Heimlich Maneuver. I made myself sick in the middle of the dining hall to unlodge the food from my throat.. I know I just overshared but that's kind of a big deal.

Joey said the most adorable thing in class today. We were trying to get Michael back on track (he had another meltdown today) and Joey calls out, "Come on Michael, we are counting on you!" Talk about crying tears of joy on the inside. Oh yeah - so Michael and I have this wonderful relationship. He is illiterate, has repeated first and second grade and has some serious behavioral problems. So, today was the first day since last week that I did not make him cry. I don't really consider myself the type of person that rules with an iron fist, but apparently, I have a harsh side. So, he's been having these mini-meltdowns each morning. I tell him to do something. He doesn't do it. He shuts down and then the crying fit begins. I am pretty disappointed in the way I've handled it because I have prioritized the other students. I would prefer to give my other students an extra 5 minutes of learning time, rather than spending that time disciplining a child that clearly does not want to be there. It took a while but Nikki and I finally got him on track and engaged today. Well.. until the soap opera that was the cafeteria at lunch time.

Diana rolled her eyes at Christina. Ginny took Christina's side. Diana was hysterical.. to the point where there were tears rolling down her face and my hands were covered in saltiness. Then, Tray pushed Joey. Joey name-called. Tray did not like the punishment he received and cried. Total right now: 2 criers. Then Betty and Joey told Michael that the reason they were in summer school was because Michael made too much noise during the standardized testing and therefore, it was his fault they failed. Michael cries (3 total). Michael then shoves Jakare who falls into Betty. (Now we have 5 criers and one bruised arm.) Needless to say, after lunch, I went over our classroom rules and expectations. And we are having a silent lunch tomorrow and Tuesday. They say kids will be kids, but I definitely draw a line. Pushing? Name-calling? No way in hell is that going down in my classroom. Never again.

p.s. Saw Eclipse last night as a reward for finishing lesson plans a week in advance! (BEST of the 3 no doubt and legitimately a great movie. I might be switching from Emmitt to Charlie or Jacob!)

Those of you traveling this weekend, be safe. I might be taking a roadtrip to Mobile, AL, Stetson, FL or Savannah, GA.. depends on the level of exhaustion..who knows!

1 comment:

  1. Two things:

    1) Team Charlie. You know it's the right thing to do.

    2) If you go to Savannah, be sure to chuck a moldy basket of fried chicken at Paula Deen's restaurant. With love from the Tampa road trippers.

    ReplyDelete