Monday, August 23, 2010

Back to School Night!

Had the opportunity to meet many parents/grandmothers/aunts (6-8) of my students tonight at Back to School Night. Many of them had no idea what I was saying but I got some nods from the Black parents when I unveiled my plans for the year. I explained that I am going to push them a ton this year so that they are reading and writing and doing math at a third grade level. One of the mom's thanked me for giving homework on Friday. She said she appreciated the fact that I believe that learning does not stop on the weekends. Overall, successful evening. Most parents wanted to know if their child behaved.. we went over some things I would like to improve behavior wise, but I wanted to concentrate on the learning aspect.

One of the literacy coaches came in to teach me how to do the Metro reading assessment, called Running Records. She was super impressed with my classroom management skills but warned me that my kids would be exhausted of seat work by Wednesday so I should consider getting my centers up and running tomorrow. TOMORROW? Yeah.. that's going to be a long shot. I stayed at work until 7:45pm tonight to perfect the classroom for parents. There was no time to even consider what centers to start. On the bright side, she's SO amazing and helpful. She offered to assess my kids in the back of my classroom on Wednesday so I can teach while she works individually with the kids. If she goes that, it might be possible for me to actually attempt to stick to my schedule. All in all, I am so thankful for the coaches at Moss.. they have been incredible.

I am having major issues with time management - but it'll come with time. I just want to stick to my schedule, but it's hard because there is just so much to learn. I am going to hold my own "Funeral for Excuses" and start actually sticking to my lesson plans. There are kids at stake - make it work Wettstein. Tim Gunn would be proud.

I need to figure out my centers before bed.. and/or something to keep the kids busy tomorrow while I assess kids. It is only Monday 8:59pm, but my body definitely feels like it's midnight Thursday. On the bright side, I am doing my best to get a good night's rest. I have way more patience for children when I'm rested.

p.s. Currently watching "Miss Universe." Margaret, they don't stand a chance against Junior Ms. Iowa!

No comments:

Post a Comment