After almost two decades with Becton Dickinson, mom got laid off today. She's in pretty decent spirits but she's really hurt inside, I'm sure. We're treating this like it's an opportunity to explore other things she has been interested in and maybe even move away from the state she has never actually left for more than a few weeks on vacation. That being said, I am boycotting all materials made by Becton Dickinson - I'm talking syringes (okay, not that I ever use those), ace bandages, and all other products/services they create.
She had a great stint there and I am so happy for everything they have done for our family over the years, but this really stinks. Her last day is at the end of May so at least they gave them plenty of time to start looking for new jobs. Her entire department, and many many other employees worldwide are being moved to San Antonio. Please say an extra prayer that she finds something that she loves as much, or more than BD. And if you know of anyone that is hiring, please keep us updated.
School-wise.. pulled another 13 hour day today. One of my children went missing between the time that I put him in the walker line and his brother showed up (5 minutes late, may I add) to pick him up. Believe you me, you never want to hear "Will Mark's 2nd grade teacher please come to the office immediately" over the loudspeaker. So, I went. I talked with some freaked out parent/guardians and eventually he was found. This is what I'm talking about.. I'm supposed to be in charge of 21 warm bodies 7 hours a day. Every second of every day. I am supposed to love and cherish, nurture and challenge these small souls until they are fit to move to third grade. They are adorable and exhausting, they are happy and bored. And.. children show you exactly how they feel. When they are bored, I know it. When they are hungry, I can hear their tummies growling. And yet, you correct their behavior and they hate you for all of 5 minutes and two seconds later, they are hugging you before they get on the school bus to go home. I think I almost shed a tear today because one of my students hugged me before she got on the bus (and I'm usually so nervous to touch Muslim children, especially girls, because I don't know anything about the personal boundary rules for those cultures) and after she let go, a student, who I have never ever seen before - who is in 4th grade came over and hugged me "for being a teacher." I wish I actually taught my children anything today because maybe I would have felt good about myself. Instead, I felt like I was wasting valuable time when they could be learning. In the end, teaching procedure is way more important in the long term. That being said, I really do need to get it together. I tried left versus right today. I never realized that the pointer finger and thumb on the left hand make an L. We're trying that tomorrow. What did I learn today as an educator? These children really count on you to show them what they need to know to be successful. If you mess up the first time, you better get it right the second time because you are their only teacher. I have a responsibility to these warm bodies to bring out the best in them. NashCorps 2010, let's do this!
No comments:
Post a Comment