Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The "Baby" Chant

Parent-teacher conferences were a big success. 16 of the 19 scheduled conferences showed up. Most of the parents brought all of their children and had them translate. I only had one "dial-in" (someone on the phone served as translator). I think it was a great day - most parents were pleased. Sheila's mother has agreed to test her, so that was a good sign. Rita's mother (from Yemen) gave me a gift card to Walmart. I refused to take it and then she explained that if I did not take it, it would be rude in her culture. That was a nice wake up call.

Today's highlight included a "baby" chant. One of the students said, "When my mom sees you during car-riders she thinks you're having a baby. She's going to have a baby in January." I explained to her that saying something like that is really not nice and that she hurt my feelings. She said, "But my mom said you are!" We then had a discussion about how somethings are secrets between mom and her and she is not supposed to tell other people that. One of the other students heard me say something about having a baby and the entire class broke out in a "baby! baby! baby!" chant until I quieted them down. At first, this got my self-esteem down. Then again, I realize I am probably only one of maybe 10 women of the 78 that work there that is in child-rearing age group. Nevertheless, I'll be going to the gym in the morning.

Highlights: JOSHUA TOOK HIS MEDICINE TODAY! FOR ABSOLUTE SURE. He was the best behaved student in my class and aced everything we worked on today. He was totally on top of his game.

Sheila's parents are trying to pay me to tutor her privately at their home. I thought this sounded weird and went to the school counselor for her opinion. She explained that I could get fired because they would be paying me and I would still be filling out her report card. It's probably for the best.

Overall, today was a good day. Yesterday was exhausting with all of the parents, but it is making the week go by more quickly! Almost to Friday, already!

No comments:

Post a Comment