My mom always reminds me that I have no common sense. When it comes down to it, this is probably going to screw me over in ways I cannot describe. Like Thursday, for instance.
I am on walker duty right now and a kindergarten has no idea how she is supposed to get home. She says her sister walks her but her sister is in tutoring, so older sister says that kindergarten should walk home by herself. First of all, school policy says this should not happen. Asst. Principal asks me to brief the girl on walking straight home without talking to anyone. She has no jacket (it's 40 degrees) and no backpack. I watch the little one walk up the hill toward home and I yell to her to not go near any buses, cars or other people. Asst P asks me why I look so concerned - I tell him I don't like having this girl walk home by herself.. she's 5. He tells me to walk her home.
Well genius me has no phone, no idea where I am in the ghetto and no idea where I am going. She shows me the 15 minute walk home and when we get there, the girl's front yard is trashed with beer cans. The front door is unlocked (she says like usual) and she tells me that no one is home. This is probably when I should have stopped freaking out about the area I was walking through and thought, "Wow, I should NOT let her stay home by herself." I know her older brother will be home in about 45 minutes, but still. Hmm.. Nope, I decide that I need to walk back to school and I'll tell someone when I get there. I make the sketchy walk home by myself.
When I get back to the office, I explain what happened. I get berated for leaving her by herself (and yes, I understand why). The police and child services are called, apparently this was not the first time parents have neglected their children.
I make my statement and cry a little at my desk. I pack up my things and head to grad class. The whole time I thought to myself "WHY AM I SUCH AN IDIOT? THAT WAS A NO BRAIN-ER!"
On Friday, I asked the admin what happened. He apologized for screaming at me and kindly explained that next time, I should walk the child back to school. He said that he was just concerned for her safety and legally because I saw her go in by herself that I would be liable if something terrible happened to her. Nothing bad happened, but still - it made me a little shaky. I know now I should not have walked her home in the first place.
_____________________
Seeing HP 7 twice in 24 hours was exhausting, emotionally, intellectually and physically, but worth it. My poor kids had to deal with Ms. Cranky-pants on Friday, but I deserved it.
T-eff-a Thanksgiving pot luck last night was so fun! We went to Albert's housewarming party the night after - good night overall.
Two day week this week. YEHAW
No comments:
Post a Comment