Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dropping the F-Bomb (in front of the principal!)

Not me, of course!

Dr. C came to the portable to observe me today during Guided Reading. It's about 9 minutes before it's about to end when he popped his head in. I was with my lowest kids (they can barely read words like "the" "and" "or" "cup" etc). During Guided Reading, you read something a little above their level so you actually guide them through the book without giving away answers or making them read something too easy.

We were reading "How to Make a Hot Dog". This has hard words like mustard, ketchup and onions. And of course, the word "Frankfurter." I spent 2 days talking about vocabulary - especially the word frankfurter. We clapped syllables. We broke down the word to see smaller words inside it. We practiced saying it and spelling it. Well, when the principal came over to watch me do guided reading, I asked little African Arnold to read out loud so we could both hear him.

He says, "Another name for hot dog is f*ck footer."

Eyes bug out. Cheeks turn beat red. I start shaking so I don't laugh.

"Ms. W, I hope you did not teach him that.."

We both start hysterically laughing. I say awesome first evaluation.

No comments:

Post a Comment