So, I re-read a couple of my last posts and I sound pathetic and whiny. Tonight, though, I am going to state some of the reasons why I might be the luckiest new teacher in the world.
1. Friends and family have been SO generous with books, school supplies and other assorted goodies for my classroom and kiddies. My library is starting to really come together! Also, the Grove has free printing and I print about 75 books for my kids every Saturday hehe
2. The coaches at school are out of this world. They asked me what I needed. They produced everything and then some. They created my centers for me, my center rotation and they are helping me with math and science centers too. I am SO lucky to have them at my school. If you also teach lower elementary and are struggling with centers, let me know and maybe I can reproduce what I have and share the wealth.
3. I stay out of the drama. My school is comprised of middle-aged women who gossip constantly. I am sure being a first year teacher I am discussed more than I would like, but I am doing my best to stay out of all of the drama. So far, so good. I play dumb all the time and it works for me. They think I'm young and dumb.. I'm young and know that drama is the easiest way to be fired by our principal.
4. Which reminds me, I ran into him today and he said that he didn't want to come visit me in the portable just yet for fear of "freaking me out" so he asked if today would be a good day to observe. I said of course and then freaked out. Typical. My kids didn't get place value, but apparently, that is a skill that is taught for a week so trying to teach it all in one day was a terrible idea. Some of them got it, but the average score on the exit slip was a 63. Re-teach tomorrow for sure.
5. Spencer and Kristie make dinner. I am so thankful for this, it's unbelievable. Getting home at 8pm is getting tiresome, but I am really starving come 8pm. I need to figure out time management so I can begin returning the favor.
6. I decided that going to bed late last night was actually beneficial to my children. I was so hyper and laughing and excited this morning - maybe I really do function better on less sleep. Today was a good day, overall.
Funny stories from my babies:
1. "How old are you? My mom said you look like you're 18."
2. "Mrs. W, how come you never talk about your husband?"
Response: That's why it's Ms. W - I live with my cat.
No comments:
Post a Comment