Sunday, October 24, 2010

Saving rando drunk girl from herself: check.

Tonight was the typical night out in Nashville .. (minus the amazing girls night in that started at 5pm and lasted until after the SF win!).. but really though, tonight made me realize how thankful I am for the friends I have here in Nashville and the people that supported me up until this point.

On our way back from Dan McG, Cari's car closely resembled that of a clown car. Liz, Anthony and I squeeze in the back and Declan and his girlfriend squeezed up front. We enter the Richland gates and notice a girl semi-conscious on the concrete. A fratty mcfratster is holding two purses and is attempting to help her, until we see her head hit the pavement. It seemed like a good idea to get out of the car and check on them. I am pretty sure that when we exited the vehicle, we didn't expect much more than a "sure, no worries - I got it." Well .. no, because he was too drunk to really say more than, "She's a friend of a friend. I have the friend's cell phone and we don't know where we're going. I need to get on a plane in 5 hours so I'm thinking about leaving." Yeah.. leave the drunk unconscious girl in the middle of the road. Great thinking.

Well semi-conscious girl couldn't walk, couldn't talk and really couldn't do much of anything but roll around. Did I mention it's Vandy's Homecoming .. i.e. she's an alumni. Between the six of us, we somehow call half a dozen random people, figure out that the girl is actually staying in Whitworth, not Richland, locate the drunk phone-less friend that is actually banging on just about every door in complex 11 and drive drunkie there, carry her up the stairs and send her off to a very disgruntled girl that owns said apartment. As irritated as I sound right now.. I think the biggest reason I am irritated is 1. how did the girl get by herself? 2. how did she get so drunk? and 3. the boy was going to leave this girl alone in the street! However, many wonderful realizations have occurred. First of all, Declan's girlfriend, who is visiting from New Hampshire was an absolute saint. She talked to the girl the whole time to calm her down and really went above and beyond protocol for finding this random girl. Secondly, I realize that I have such wonderful friends that they would not let me get that ridiculous and if it did happen, they would stay by my side. Thirdly, I am blessed to have met such wonderful people down here. They literally rescued a crazy drunk girl and found her a place to sleep. These people are genuine and really wanted to help this girl. I know the whole t-eff-a motto is to save every child, but tonight.. we may have actually saved one person.

No comments:

Post a Comment