Sunday, October 3, 2010

Happy Tears, I promise.

Friday was African Andy's last day at our school. He moved to Seattle on Saturday morning. I was explaining to the children at the end of the day on Friday that it was his last day and that he was moving to another school. The kids said they were going to miss him. I kept hugging Ahmed, because even though he threw tantrums every once in a while, he was one of my babies. So, I decide that I don't want Ahmed to forget about our class so I have all of the children write him goodbye cards before he leaves. I put on Pandora so that they can concentrate on their cards. The first song that comes on is "Can you feel the love tonight?" and I think I just lost it. I was looking around at my class and watching the students hug Ahmed and write him these letters and tears of love and joy rolled down my face. The kids wanted to know if I would cry when they left and I said that I just love them all so much. (I am pathetic - I know.) So, I decide to read the letters the kids write Ahmed because why not.. just add fuel to the fire. Well, they are sweet. They tried to tell him that he was their best friend and that they would miss him.

My favorite is the following:

"I miss you are my bist frind. I wish you cude be the smart kide."

Then I lost it. HAHAHAHA Hysterically laugh. HAHAHAH I could not keep it together. I didn't think little Andy should take it with him, so this note is now posted on our fridge at home.


We celebrated Katey's birthday on Saturday night at Cabana - what an awesome surprise party. She looked so happy and it was such a fun night out. I had the honor of being squeezed near Tina, Katey, Declan, Anthony and Spencer. We spent the whole 3 hour dinner laughing.

Friday night was Teacher's Night Out at the Adventure Science Center. I.E. Metro teachers were invited for free drinks at the planetarium. Awesome.

Anddd.. BIG NEWS: ABOUT 30 SECONDS AGO I FINALLY SUBMITTED MY THESIS TO THE AMERICAN JOURNAL OF COMMUNITY PSYCHOLOGY. Kristie and Spencer probably think I'm nuts because I pressed submit and started to cry. I have been working on this publication since March of my junior year and 1.5 years later, I finally submitted. It probably will be rejected anyway, but I am really proud that I finally got it in. Many thanks to my AMAZING advisor, Brad, who really kept me to high expectations and made me work my booty off. He really pushed me to make this happen. Sorry to all of my roommates for the last two years who had to listen to me complain about it, but I am so happy that it's in somewhere. If I am really lucky, they will ask me to make changes and resubmit.. so I'll say an extra prayer and see what happens.

Only two more weeks left to this semester and then report card time.. AND EPIC ROADTRIP.

1 comment: